Gluten-free vegan semla pancakes
This pancake tastes like a cardamom bun and when it's filled with jam and cream, it becomes a delicious treat.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Resting time30 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1,2 cups (300 ml or ~210 g) Gluten-free all purpose (light) flour mix I use a special gluten-free bun flour mix from Viljatuote (not sponsored, this is what I always use to make buns)
- 0,35 oz dry yeast (1 packet of dry yeast, we have packets with ~10 grams of yeast)
- 1/4 cups coconut sugar
- 1,5 tsp ground cardamom
- 0,5 tsp salt
- 0,8 cups yogurt I use unsweetened soy yogurt, but any yogurt should work
- 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cups melted coconut oil
- + oil additional oil for the pancakes
- Optional: sugar for coating the pancake buns
- Fillings: almond paste, raspberry jam and/or raspberries, vegan whipped cream
Mix dry ingredients in a bowl: flour, dry yeast, sugar and spices.
Combine yogurt and water and heat to ~105 F (~42 C). Don't over heat or the yeast won't work properly.
Pour yogurt-water mix to the dry ingredients and knead for a few minutes, add oil and keep on kneading for a few minutes.
Shape the dough into 10 (or more) thick pancakes. Let rise covered in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
Warm oil in a pan and add pancakes. Cook pancakes in mid temperature for about 2 minutes per side.
Optional: when still warm, brush the pancake buns with coconut oil and coat with sugar.
Let chill for a while and fill the pancakes with almond paste, raspberry jam (or raspberries) and lots of whipped cream. Enjoy!
If you want to use regular wheat flour, you would need more than 1,2 cups. If you want to try a spelt flour + oat flour version of this, here's the recipe.