Date-sweetened vegan kombucha muffins
These date-sweetened vegan muffins are a delicious breakfast or snack, or even a healthy treat. I recommend varying the date / banana ratio to make the muffin to adjust the level of sweetness.
- 10,5 oz / 300 g pitted dates and peeled bananas I used 3,5 oz / 100 g banana and 7 oz / 200 g dates
- 2 cups / 240 g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1,5 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 1,5 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp salt
- optional (gives a lovely flavor): 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 1 cup kombucha tip: use a flavor you really like! I used ginger.
- heaped 1/2 cup raspberries tip: if using frozen berries, you can coat them in flour so that they won't sink into the bottom of the muffin
- 1,5 cups plant-based whipped cream
- 1/4 cups plant-based cream cheese
- juice of 1/2 lime
- zest of 1/2 lime
- 1-5 tbsp maple syrup adjust the sweetness level as you wish
- Optional (for color): about 1/2 tsp of matcha powder
- Optional (for color): about 1 tsp of raspberry powder
Preheat oven to 356 F / 180 C.
Blend pitted dates and peeled banana until you have a smooth caramel texture.
Mix dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and spices.
Add date-banana caramel, kombucha, raspberries and mix well.
Divide the batter into about 9-10 muffins and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
Whip the frosting while the muffins are in the oven and frost the muffins when they have chilled for a while.