This strawberry banana bread recipe is made by my friend Rainbow Nourishments Anthea Cheng who kindly let me post it. This recipe is from her beautiful vegan cookbook: Incredible Plant-Based Desserts and it is originally a passionfruit banana bread. Since we didn’t have any passionfruit, I decided to make a berry version of this yummy bread.
Incredible Plant-Based Desserts by Anthea Cheng
Anthea’s book is full of gorgeous recipes as is her blog Rainbownourishments and Instagram. I’ve followed Anthea from the very start (for a few years already) and I’ve always been amazed by her baking skills and her ambition. Her positive drive and also her kindness shines through in all her posts. I am so lucky to have connected with her on Instagram and if you haven’t already, I hope you do so too!
Anthea works hard and with passion. Not only is she a super talented vegan chef, but she is also a very talented food photographer and food stylist. She also had a successful cake business before writing her cookbook.
So if you’re looking for a vegan baking book with a great variety of sweet recipes, I warmly recommend Anthea’s book! Incredible Plant-Based Desserts is all about beautiful cakes, tarts, cookies and other delicious treats. The recipes are all vegan and some are also gluten-free and nut-free.
Strawberry banana bread: fluffy and delicious
I chose Anthea’s banana bread from her book because it looks so cozy and delicious! I actually didn’t bake a lot of banana bread during quarantine but I’ve compensated for it in the summer by baking this bread already twice.
The recipe is easy to follow and it was fun to make. I imagine this would be so good with passionfruit, which is the original recipe. I will definitely try that too!
ps I haven’t adjusted the recipe much, just used strawberries instead of passionfruit. I also added a coconut cream frosting whereas Anthea’s recipe has a yogurt frosting – that would be super yummy too!
Strawberry banana bread
- Loaf pan 9 x 4 inch (23 x 10 cm)
- 1 1/2 cups / 190 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups / 160 grams almond flour I use blanched almond flour
- 2/3 cups / 100 grams coconut sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 ripe bananas About 240 grams
- 4 oz / 110 grams strawberries smashed or pureed
- 1 1/4 cup / 285 ml plant-based milk I used oat milk
- 3 tbsp / 45 ml melted coconut oil, olive oil or any oil you prefer
- 1/3 cups whipped coconut cream This is the creamy solid part of a coconut milk can. I put the can in the fridge overnight and then scooped out the creamy part and whipped it with a hand mixer.
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- 2 tsp maple syrup or more if you like a sweeter topping
- 1/8 tsp salt to make a more salted caramel flavor, but this is optional
- 1/2- 1 cup berries for decoration
- Preheat oven to 325 F / 160 C.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl: flours, sugar, baking powder.
- Mash bananas and strawberries and mix together.
- Add the fruit mixture, plant-based milk and oil to the dry ingredients and mix well until fully combined.
- Pour mixture in a loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour or until toothpick test comes out clean (no raw batter in the toothpick).
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for 15 minutes and remove to a cooling rack.
- Mix frosting ingredients together. Taste and adjust sweetness / saltiness level.
- Spread frosting on top of banana bread and decorate with berries. Enjoy this delicious banana bread!
ps I also have a blueberry banana bread with blueberry coconut butter recipe on my blog, which is an oldie but goldie.