Chocolate cake with gingerbread caramel ♥ This became my favorite cake in an instant. I might say that about most of my cakes, but this cake is truly something special! And I know exactly why: the combination of rich chocolate and gooey gingerbread caramel, fluffy cream and tart cranberries is a celebration of flavors magically working together in festive harmony.
Click here to read this post in Finnish.
This is a yummy cake for the winter season, as it’s so rich and decadent. I’m going to bake this cake as a Christmas dessert for our family! Although for the kids I’ll most likely make a raspberry version as they’re not cranberry nor lingonberry fans. But I am, so I’m definitely going to add these pretty berry gems on top of my piece of cake.
Chocolate cake with gingerbread caramel and other sweet treats
This is not the only sweet treat I’m sharing this December. In fact I’ll be focusing on sweet treats on the blog this month. I love savory meals and especially savory Christmas food, but I really love sweet food more 🙂
Gingerbread spice is one of my favorites, and it’s just so amazingly versatile. I’ve already made an easy stove top gingerbread granola and gingerbread crumble pancakes, and I can’t wait to share more treats soon. Most likely they’re all going to be gingerbread spiced treats as for me this is the month to use it every single day in every possible way I can imagine.
Btw this gingerbread caramel is a great example of versatility: I’ve used this caramel as a smoothie, porridge and toast topping. And a quick tip is to try this yummy dessert: warm berries + vanilla ice cream + gingerbread caramel ♥
So I’m hoping this recipe will bring you joy as much as it brings us! Wishing you a lovely December weekend and I’ll be back soon with more festive treats!
Love from the forest,
ps If you’re looking for a gluten-free Christmas cake, this gingerbread cookie festive cake is the perfect choice!
Chocolate cake with gingerbread caramel
- 3,5 oz vegan chocolate (100 g) I use half vegan milk chocolate and half 70% dark chocolate
- 2,5 tbsp almond butter
- 1 cup plant-based milk such as oat milk I use Kaslink AITO oat drink or Barista
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 0,8 cups spelt flour (100 g or 200 ml)
- 0,4 cups almond flour (40 g or 100 ml)
- 0,8 cups coconut sugar (120 g or 200 ml)
- 1,5 tsp baking powder
- 0,5 tsp baking soda
- 0,5 tsp vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 oz medjool or other soft dates I use about 8 dates
- 0,4 cups plant-based milk such as oat milk I use Kaslink AITO Barista
- 1,5 tbsp almond butter
- 0,5 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 0,5 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp gingerbread spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
To decorate the cake
- 1 cup liquid plant-based cream such as oat cream for whipping I use Kaslink AITO Oat for Whipping
- 1/2 cup cranberries or lingonberries You can also use raspberries or any sweeter berries you prefer
- Preheat oven to 360 F / 180 C.
- Melt chocolate in a water bath (or any method you prefer) and swirl in the almond butter.
- Whisk together plant-based milk and apple cider vinegar.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all dry ingredients: flours, sugar, baking powder and soda, spices.
- Pour chocolate + almond butter mix and milk + ACV mix to the dry ingredients and mix it well.
- Pour the batter into a brownie pan (or other baking tin you prefer) and bake in the oven for 30 min.
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender until totally smooth. You can use a sieve to remove the date peels (this step is not necessary, it's just if you want the caramel to be very smooth on top of the cake)
- Whip plant-based cream with a hand mixer or food processor until fluffy and easily spreadable on cake.
Decorating the cake
- Cut the cake in two pieces (if using a rectangle shaped brownie pan, you would now get about two square pieces of cake.
- Spread ~1/3 gingerbread caramel on top of the bottom layer and spread ~1/4 whipped cream on top of the caramel and put the second cake layer in place.
- Decorate the cake with the rest of the whipped cream, add berries on top and pour the rest of the caramel sauce on top too.
- Enjoy this lovely festive cake with loved ones!