Last week I made a cozy and delicious vegan one pot tofu lasagna soup. It’s like lasagna, but it’s easier to make (ready in 30 min!). This turned out to be a very kid-friendly version, and I think the secret is in the grated vegetables and delicious smoked tofu, which gives an amazing flavor to pasta sauces and soups. If you love lasagna, I know you will LOVE this soup! We love this so much, I just made it again and can’t wait to have my third bowl 🙂
Grated carrots, ginger and garlic are my favorites to use as a base for soups and stews. I use these three as a base for my delicious Lentil noodle soup too, another kid-friendly soup.
A super flavorful ingredient in the soup is smoked tofu, which is crumbled into tiny pieces. The flavor is incredible, so much umami! If you can’t get smoked tofu in stores, you can use any marinated tofu.
To make the soup a LASAGNA soup, creamy cashew sauce is the key! If you have a powerful blender, it’s super quick to make. But even if not, you can just soak the cashews in hot water for about 15 min to 1 hour to make the nuts softer and easier to blend.
I think this soup is an amazing meal for anyone wanting to eat more plant-based. I warmly recommend it for all picky eaters too!
Wishing you a cozy meatless Monday from the forest!
Vegan One Pot Tofu Lasagna Soup
- 1 block of smoked tofu (~300 g / 10,5 oz)
- 2 carrots (~120 g / 4 oz)
- 3 garlic cloves (~8 g / 0,3 oz)
- small piece of ginger (~8 g / 0,3 oz)
- oil or veggie broth for cooking
- 4 cups of crushed tomatoes (~1000 g / 4 cups)
- 4 cups veggie broth (1000 ml) I use a low salt broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp mild paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 6 lasagne noodle sheets (~125 g / 4,4 oz)
- 1 cup cashews (130 g)
- 1 cup Oat Cuisine (oat cream for cooking) I use Kaslink AITO, but you can use any cream for cooking, also coconut cream / milk or any plant-based milk works well
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- vegan parmesan
- black pepper to taste
- Cut tofu in "sticks" and wrap kitchen towel / paper around the sticks. Place a heavy weight (like a pan) on top of the wrapped tofu sticks for a few min to dry. When the tofu has dried a while, crumble it into tiny pieces in a food processor or with a knife / your hands.
- Grate carrots, ginger and garlic using the smallest holes of a box grater (on any grater you have).
- Warm oil in a pan. Add grated garlic and ginger and cook in medium heat for a minute. Add crumbled tofu and keep cooking for a minute or two.
- Mix grated carrots, tofu, ginger and garlic well and cook for another minute.
- Add veggie broth, crushed tomatoes and all the spices. Mix well.
- Break lasagna noodles into the soup and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, put a lid on and let simmer for 20 minutes stirring every now and then. The soup is ready when the noodles are soft.
- Blend all cashew cream ingredients in a powerful blender or food processor until you get a smooth cream.
- Serve soup with a dollop of cream, parsley and vegan parmesan. Add black pepper to taste.